IB Share CFDs2
In addition to the potential tax benefits, trading CFDs at IB offers the following benefits:
- Transparent, Low Commissions and Financing Rates - The starting commission rate is only 0.05% on all share CFDs, with lower rates available for active traders. Overnight financing charges start at only benchmark +/-1.5%, also with lower spreads available for larger balances. We challenge you to find a better offering.
For more information, see our CFDs Commissions page.
- Trade CFDs Alongside the Underlying Shares - Our Universal account lets you view and trade multiple asset types from the same screen. View the CFD ticker on one line and the underlying share ticker on the next. Trader Workstation, our desktop trading platform, supports stocks, options, futures, forex, metals, funds, CFDs and bonds all from the same account statement and same trading window.
- Margin Efficiency - CFD margin requirements are generally more favorable than stock
margin requirements. Retail clients are subject to a minimum regulatory initial margin of 20%, close-out protection and negative equity protection. For additional
details and examples please see
IB ESMA Margin Implementation.
- Efficient CFD Reference Pricing - The IB CFD price reflects the exchange-quoted price for the underlying share. IB uses its efficient Smart Routing technology to determine your CFD reference price. With other brokers, you run the risk of not getting the best possible price.
Our clients have the ability to add quotes to the exchange book in the same way they would trading stocks. This is possible because IB will match all CFD orders immediately with a hedge-order. As a result a non-marketable CFD order will create a matching non-marketable order for the underlying share on the exchange.
IB Index and Metals CFDs3
IB Index CFDs present an opportunity to gain broad market exposure more easily than with many other instruments. IB Index and Metals CFDs also offer these important benefits:
- Flexible Exposure to Global Markets - IB Index CFDs are available for all major equity market indices, and for precious metals (London Gold and Silver) Equity indices can be traded in lots as small as 1X the index level. Unlike the related futures, IB Index CFDs do not expire, saving rollover related costs and risks.
- Low Commissions and Financing Rates - Depending on the index, commission rates are only 0.0015% - 0.01%. Overnight financing rates are just benchmark +/-1.5%.
- Transparent Quotes - Unlike other Index CFD providers, IB charges a transparent commission. We don't widen the spread of the related future or spot underlying like some other brokers. The IB Index CFD quotes accurately represent the spreads and price movements of the related future* or spot price, and there are no requotes. What you see is what you get.
- Margin Efficiency - IB Index CFDs are margined at the same low rates as the related future, adjusted for contract size. Non-Australian retail clients are subject to minimum regulatory margins of 5% or 10% depending on the index or metal. For additional details and examples please see
IB ESMA Margin Implementation.
*IB hedges all index CFD trades, and does not operate a dealing desk. Fills cannot be guaranteed in extreme markets.
IB Forex CFDs
- Direct Access to Interbank Quotes - No hidden price spreading, no markup, no kickbacks. Just the combination of real time prices from 14 of the world's largest FX dealing banks plus a transparent, low commission that avoids the conflict of interest of FX platforms which deal for their own account.
- ECN-Like Market Structure - Our order book allows you to set orders away from or between the markets, and trade with other IB clients as well as with the liquidity-providing banks.
- Automatic Overnight Position Rolls - For positions held overnight IB applies a straightforward interest credit or charge based on the difference in the benchmark rates for the two currencies and a low IB spread.
- FX Trader - Trade IB Forex CFDs in our optimized FXTrader, which includes real-time streaming quotes, up and down indicators, trading volumes, pending trades, executions, positions, and average price plus P&L.